Monday, February 22, 2010

Internet Etiquette

I watched the video Digiteens:Digital Citizenship by Digital Teenagers. This film is about Internet etiquette and safety created by teenagers. I thought the information that was presented was helpful and insightful. I was shocked by the Driving while texting segment. I was surprised that driving while texting was responsible for more deaths than driving under the influence. I never realized that there is actual protocol for using the Internet.

I knew that some children lied about their ages when using social media networks, such as Facebook, but I had no idea that there were so many children doing it. I liked the last segment or project the best. I knew there were risk that had to do with the Internet and identity theft but I did not realize that this could affect our children. I am aware of shopping on the Internet but it is not something that I do myself. I was blown away to hear that 9 year olds are shopping on the Internet and have had their identity or their parents identities stolen from them. I did not realize that there is a great need to educate children and adults about proper use of the Internet.





I realized that I am also very uneducated about digital citizenship and what it involves. This is an area that I definitely need to spend some time learning more about. I had never heard of the term digital citizenship before this assignment. There seems to be some concern about when, where, and who should be responsible for teaching it to our children. I feel that as teachers we should make sure that our students know how to safely use the technology that we are working with in our classroom. My eyes are being opened to all of the wonderful teaching tools of technology but at the same time I want to know that I am safe and so are my students.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your post. I feel the same way. I get so shocked when I hear the statistics of people who drive and text. I also don't feel like I know enough information about digital citizenship and need to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete