Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Education in New Zealand

I watched the video "A Peek For A Week" inside a kiwi junior classroom. The student's ages range from 5 years old to 8 years old. This video shows a day in a class in New Zealand. I was surprised by how much technology was a major component it every lesson taught during the day. Technology was not just used by the teacher; her students used it also. There is even one activity where these students help teach new technology to the other teachers in their school.




The most advanced piece of technology in our school was the copy machine, when I was in grade school. I would have loved to have had this type of learning environment when I was a child. I had teacher based lessons and in this video the learning is child based. The students are the teachers for their peers, as well as being guided by the teacher. I love this concept because we may not always be able,as teacher, to make the connect for our students and usually there peers can.

One piece of equipment that I had never seen was a white board. I was intrigued by how much the students used it to do class work. I also liked how the students were able to do most of their assignments with the Internet and the white board. I thought it was neat that they are writing a story online with another class in a different city in New Zealand. I saw several different use of technology that I look forward to using in my class some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment