Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Human Trafficking: Myth or Fact

I was asked to select a video, from the International School of the Americas in San Antonio, view it and make a comment on it. I chose a video presentation that talks about a subject that the average person does not want to admit could really exist on the world.

I knew this was happening but did not realize how unaware and educated the general population is about this topic. My wife was taking a Humanities class, a couple of years ago, and they were discussing this topic in it. She came home one day and told me about a remark made by one of the male students in the class. He had made the comment that there was no such thing as human trafficking and forcing someone to be a sex slave. His theory was that a female could not be forced to participate in sexually activities if she really did not want to. HELLO ! There are so many things wrong with this statement that I would not even know where to begin. It made us realize how ignorant society, as a whole, is still about this subject.




I love that our young people are taking the lead and stepping out to the plate to educate the world about serious issue facing the world we live in today. With the help of today's technology students are discovering new ways to have their voices heard and express themselves. We need to educate people so that this can not continue to happen while we look the other way. These video presentations are a great way of doing this.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe someone would say that human trafficking doesn't exist, that is crazy! Great blog, it is awesome that students are helping spread the word on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree so much that it does exist. I think people would rather pretend that it does not exist so that they can sleep better at night not having to think about the horrible things that go on in the world. Women and men both can be used for things that they do not want if they are threatened in the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely agree with this reflection. I found this part to be interesting "His theory was that a female could not be forced to participate in sexually activities if she really did not want to." A large majority of people do not understand severity of this topic of human trafficking in America and especially in other foreign contries.

    I just watched this video maybe you will find this to be emotionally very moving...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZTN0TbsRYA

    "In India children cost more than cattle".... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the positive comments on this post. I debated about it but I really loved the job these kids are doing to get the word out on these types of topics so I had to help. Not to mention knowing how ignorant society in general is.

    ReplyDelete