Monday, March 8, 2010

Who is the Wizard of Apps?

Were off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Apps? Huh? What happened to the Wizard of OZ?




I was asked to watch this video as a homework assignment and post a reflection about it. This is one of the K12 online videos. This is about the topic of Digital Literacy and how it effects the technological world of today. It also takes a look at the safe use and practice of today's technology such as fair common use of items on the Internet. It also talks about how to use social networking sites safely and to protect private information.


I had never heard of or thought about proper behavior for technology before this class. This is a great way to educate about this topic. The information shared gives you great websites that can be used by educators. Some of the websites, help educators use technology safely for them and their students. I learned a lot from this video and bookmark Joyce's new tools workshop wiki in my Diigo account. I do not seem to be very good, when it comes to research and technology. I found the part that talked about research and the Internet very informative and helpful for me.


My wife and I both checked out a website (to check our personal digital footprints) that is a people search engine. We were surprised to see the results. Our blog sites are our first digital footprints. Since searching is my weakness, I also checked out the link for searching on the left side of this wiki. It list all kinds of search engines and provids all kinds of information to help with searching. There is even videos to help you have a better understanding of how to search information.

I think this a great tool for educators. I will use the new tools for search wiki in the future for personal and professional use of today's technology. I really thought creating museums, in a world history class, was cool. The students started in the middle ages and searched artifacts and then shared them with others in a wiki museums created for the class. There was a letter from Joan of Arc that was really neat. I think it would be fun to do something like this in my classroom.

1 comment: